I didn’t really have something I wanted to make, so I just started turning.
I started to ‘see’ a chess piece emerging out of the stock, so I decided I’d try to transform what I had into a pawn.
Parting was kind of a pain, but it went okay.
After the piece was parted, I flipped it, turned a sort of ’rounded edge’, then started drilling holes to be tapped. I had to flip the piece and drill from the other side to get the hole to go all the way through the piece.
When I clamped the piece to tap it by hand (after starting it on the lathe), the vice left some nice big teeth marks in the part. So I threw back on the lathe for a few minutes to take down the parts that were scuffed. And voila, my finished ‘chess piece’. Even though it looked way different in my head.